Kitchen Display System
KDS in restaurantOne of the modules of the Ordering Stack system is KDS - Kitchen Display System. It is a PWA application that can be run on any touchscreen device. The KDS application aims to support work in the kitchen by transferring orders in an electronic form. On the KDS screen, kitchen workers can see exactly what needs to be prepared for each order. They can also change the status of orders, including marking them as started or completed. The Ordering Stack system allows for the configuration of many KDS screens within one kitchen, so that individual devices show orders for various roles involved in the preparation of orders. In this way, the entire cooking process can be reflected.
An example would be a setup for a burger and fries restaurant. We have 3 roles here:
- burgers completition (topping)
- order delivery (delivery)
- The new order (grill items only) appears on the grill screen, status: NOT STARTED
- The grillman starts grilling the meat for the order and marks it as started on the screen.
At the same time, this order appears on the screen by the fryer (only items to be made on the fryer). STATUS: NOT STARTED
- When the employee starts cooking the fries, he marks the order as started.
- The KDS sandwich picking order appears when the grillman starts working, you can see its status.
- On the KDS ordering screen, our order appears only when the grill and french fries stand for the end of the order (both of them must finish)
It can be seen in the picture below showing 4 KDS screens in the order fulfillment process:
It is only one of the many possibilities of KDS configuration within the Ordering Stack.
Technical requirementsThe only technical requirement for the KDS screen is the ability to run a web application on a touch screen device connected to the Internet. It can be a tablet with the Android or iOS operating system. Additionally, a launched KDS instance requires the definition of 3 parameters:
- tenant id (organization)
- venue id (resturant)
- optionally specifying a configuration name, e.g. grill, topping or whatever